The Blue House Cluster

The Blue House Cluster (CN: 藍屋) is actually three buildings including the Blue House, Yellow House, and Orange House. The buildings themselves are a little special for they represent Lingnan culture and architecture of the 1920’s. For visitors, there is an exhibit featuring some history and stories from the building located on the ground floor and open from 10 am to 6 pm

Nearby the Blue House

Hotel pick near the Blue House Wan Chai

Hotel Indigo – The four star hotel offers a rooftop infinity pool, a 24-hour fitness center and 2 dining options and is only a 5-min walk to MTR Wan Chai.

Wikipedia Says

Historic background

The building was the original site of the first hospital ‘Wah To Hospital’ (aka “Wan Chai Kai Fong Hospital”), which was built in the 1870s in Wan Chai. The hospital, which provided Chinese medical services to local Chinese, was possibly the first hospital in the district.

After the hospital closed in 1886, the two-storey building was then used as a temple for Wah To (Pinyin: Hua Tuo), the revered Chinese physician from the Three Kingdoms period.

The building was demolished in 1920 and was built into four four-storey tenement blocks in 1922. After the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong in 1945. The building was subsequently used as a martial arts school and Dit Da clinic by Lam Cho, the adopted nephew of Lam Sai-wing.

The building was acquired by the government in the 1970s, and in 1990 the outer walls were painted blue, thus earning it the name Blue House.

Future revitalisation

All the upper floors of Blue House, apart from 72 Stone Nullah Lane, are timber structures. The two wooden stairs, with original elements intact, are well maintained.

The building was part of a HK$100 million plan, unveiled by the Housing Society and the Urban Renewal Authority, to preserve nine Chinese-style buildings in Wan Chai that were constructed during the 1920s.
The building has been preserved and revitalised in a traditional tea and medicine style.

In 2007, the Urban Renewal Authority and the Development Bureau jointly announced that the residents of the Blue House, were to be allowed to stay in this historic monument. On the same year, one of the ground floor’s shophouses of the building was occupied as a location of the Wan Chai Livelihood Place, which was later renamed as the Hong Kong House of Stories in March 2012. The building closed for renovation in 2015.

The building was fully renovated and opened in 2016. It won the 2017/2018 architectural prize in 2018.

Source: Wikipedia

Map

My location
Get Directions

Details

  • Website: vivabluehouse.hk
  • EN Address: 72, 72A, 74 & 74A Stone Nullah Lane (Blue House)
    2, 4, 6 & 8 Hing Wan Street (Yellow House), 8 King Sing Street (Orange House), Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island
  • Getting There: MTR Wan Chai Station, Exit A3.

More things to do by type

More things to do by area

More things to do by nearby MTR Station

You may also like...