The Historic Western Market

Western Market (CN: 西港城) is Queen Anne Revival style building built in 1906 and renovated in 1991 to become a market featuring shops selling arts and crafts, and fabric merchants. It is open from 8AM–9PM and is free to enter and explore.

Items for sale here include some Hong Kong nostalgia pieces and several fabric stores with rolls of silk and cashmere. There is also a Cantonese restaurant onsite.

Nearby Western Market

Western Market is close to the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal, Wing On Department Store, and about 8 mins walk from Liang Yi Museum, Man Mo Temple, and Hollywood Road.

Nearby Hotel Pick

Homy Hotel Central – three-star and great value for such a prime location near the ferry and MTR Sheung Wan Station.

Wikipedia

Location

Western Market is located at 323 Des Voeux Road Central. The market occupies a whole city block and is surrounded by the following streets: Des Voeux Road Central (South), Morrison Street (East), Connaught Road Central (North) and On Tai Street (West).

Sheung Wan Complex, now called the Sheung Wan Municipal Services Building, the site of the former South Block, is located at 345 Queen’s Road Central. It is surrounded by Queen’s Road Central (South), Morrison Street (East) and Bonham Strand (North).

History

Western Market came into business in September 1844. Western Market later consisted of two separate blocks: South Block (demolished) and North Block (the current “Western Market”).
The South Block at Queen’s Road Central was built in 1858. Vendors were evicted and moved to the Hollywood Road Temporary Market in August 1980. The Victorian period South Block was demolished thereafter and replaced by the Urban Council Sheung Wan Complex, opened in 1988. The Edwardian period North Block and the Hollywood Road Temporary Market were closed at this time and vendors were relocated to the new complex.

The North Block, smaller and more compact in design, was preserved and renovated by Land Development Corporation. This building, of the Queen Anne Revival style of the Edwardian period, was built in 1906 as an extension of the then existing Western Market. It was the former site of Harbour Office that had been moved to a reclamation area in Central District for a larger space to cope with its increasing workload. The old building of the Harbour Office was pulled down to build the North Block of Western Market.

It operated as a food market until 1988. The building was damaged during the construction of Sheung Wan Station, and remediation works were undertaken afterward. Half the site was rezoned to facilitate a proposed widening of Morrison Street, which would have necessitated the building’s demolition. In 1990, it was declared a historical monument and the renovated market building re-opened as “the Western Market” in 1991. Further refurnishment work was conducted in 2003.

Architecture

The four-storey building is in Queen Anne Revival style that was popular in the British Empire during the late Victorian and early Edwardian periods. The brickwork on the four corner towers is “bandaged”, giving a polychromatic effect. It was blue, but was later painted red to suit the architectural style.

Source: Wikipedia

Map

My location
Get Directions

Details

  • Website: www.westernmarket.com.hk
  • EN Address: 323 Des Voeux Road Central, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong Island
  • Getting There: MTR Sheung Wan Station, Exit B or C.
  • Open Hours: 8AM–9PM

More things to do by type

More things to do by area

More things to do by nearby MTR Station

You may also like...