Hung Shing Temple at Wan Chai

This temple started out as an altar built on a rock that stood on what used to be the shoreline, since Hung Shing is the deity who provides protection at sea, worshipped by fishermen, farmers and sea traders. Over the years, land reclamation has ‘pushed’ the temple farther inland.

Estimated to be built between 1847 and 1852, it underwent its first renovation in 2015. Despite the dramatic changes to the city around it, the temple is still used by worshippers and provides visitors with an interesting insight into ancient Chinese folk religion.

Wikipedia Says


The temple is located at Nos. 129–131 Queen’s Road East, Wan Chai. Tai Wong Street West and Tai Wong Street East intersect with Queen’s Road East across the street from the temple. The two streets derive their name from the temple, as “Tai Wong” is an alternate name for Hung Shing. The temple was originally built next to the shoreline, facing the sea, but as the consequence of successive land reclamations, it is now surrounded by clusters of residential and commercial buildings.


The temple was probably built in 1847 and may have existed previously as a shrine. Renovations were recorded to have been carried out in 1857, 1860, 1867, 1949 and 1992. An annexe Kwun Yum temple was constructed to its left in 1867.


The temple was built with boulders from the hillside and its right portion and back are sitting on rocks. It is a simple one-hall building with a granite platform right in front of its façade. The roof of the platform is supported by elaborate granite columns and accessing staircases are built on either ends rather than in the middle facing the temple entrance. The ceramic decorations of Shiwan kiln on the roof date from 1909. Together with Hung Shing, other deities worshiped there include Madame Kam Fa (金花娘娘), Pau Kung and Shing Wong.


The management of the Temple has been delegated to the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals by the Chinese Temples Committee since pre-war times. It has been listed as a Grade I historic building since 1987[1] and it is part of the Wan Chai Heritage Trail, established in 2009.


Worshippers of Hung Shing go to pray in the temple on the 1st and the 15th day of every lunar month and on the birthday of Kwun Yum, the Goddess of Mercy.

Wiki page:,_Wan_Chai


Hung Shing Temple, 129-131 Queen's Rd E, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

You may also like...