Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware

Flagstaff House (CN: 旗桿屋) was originally built in 1846 as a home for the Commander of the British Forces and incorporates Greek Revival architecture. In 1989 it was declared a monument and reopened as a museum, The Flagstaff Museum of Tea Ware (CN: 茶具文物館).

The museum is open from 10AM–6PM daily and closed on Tuesdays. Admission is free.

Nearby

  • Forsgate Conservatory (霍士傑溫室)
  • Bank of China Tower (中銀大廈)
  • Cheung Kong Center (長江集團中心)
  • Peak Tram (中環花園道山頂纜車總站)
  • Former French Mission Building (前法國外方傳道會大樓)

Top Hotels Near Flagstaff House

The Murray, Hong Kong – Featuring sophisticated spacious suites and rooms across 25 stories, The Murray, Hong Kong, a Niccolo Hotel offers accommodations in Hong Kong. It has 5 dining destinations including a glamorous rooftop restaurant and bar with panoramic views.

Wikipedia Says

History

Flagstaff House had been named as Headquarter House until 1932. The site chosen was a small bluff above the barracks and above Queen’s Road, then at the waterfront.

The building was designed in Greek revival style. Historians suspect it was designed either by Murdoch Bruce, a Scot who was inspector of buildings, or by Lieutenant Bernard Collinson of the Royal Engineers. The first occupant was Major-General George Charles D’Aguilar, General Officer Commanding from 1844 to 1846 who also held the post of Lieutenant Governor.

The west and east wings were shelled during the Japanese invasion in the Second World War; it also suffered bomb damage. The Japanese repaired it and the Commandant took the building as his residence during the occupation.

After the war, Flagstaff House was again the Commander’s residence until 1978, when the Commander moved to a purpose built house on Barker Road. It was handed over by the military to the civilian Hong Kong Government as part of the recovery of Victoria Barracks. The Government put it under the responsibility of the Urban Council in 1981.

The building was declared a monument in 1989. It was restored as far as possible to its original mid-19th-century appearance, structurally reinforced, and the interior was to be modified so that it could be used as a museum.

Museum of Tea Ware

In 1984, it was converted into the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware, a branch museum of the Hong Kong Museum of Art. The museum specialises in the collection, study and display of teaware, including many samples of the Yixing teapot, from the Jiangsu of China, as well as the world’s oldest known extant teapot.

A new wing, the K.S. Lo Gallery, was built and opened in 1995. It is named after local collector (and Vitasoy founder Dr. Kwee Seong Lo), who made a donation to the city in the 1970s. This donation now constitutes the core of the museum’s collection. The new gallery contains a collection of ceramics and Chinese seals.

Source: Wikipedia

Map

My location
Get Directions

Details

  • Website: hk.art.museum
  • EN Address: Inside Hong Kong Park, 10 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong Island
  • Getting There: MTR Admiralty Station, Exit C1.

More things to do by type

More things to do by area

More things to do by nearby MTR Station

You may also like...